09-12-2022, 07:32 AM   #39
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
You're going to be getting many types of responses to this, some of it misinformation. Seeing that you're in the US, I'll share what applies in the US. I'm unfamiliar with other countries fuel regulations.

Many believe premium fuel has more or better additives than regular. NOT TRUE! There may be some rare exceptions for boutique premium blends but regulations ensure all fuel sold in the US has a minimum amount of additives. In most cases regular gas has the same amount as premium in a particular brand. Another specification (not regulation) is "Top Tier". "The additive companies create additive formulations and conduct testing, ultimately receiving TOP TIER™ approval.

The fuel retailer licensee agrees to purchase fuel treated with a TOP TIER™ additive at the correct concentration and display the logo." Read more at https://toptiergas.com/.

Most major vehicle manufacturers recommend (but don't require) Top Tier fuel.

So… if most fuel brands include the same additives in all of their fuel, what is the difference between regular, mid grade, and premium? OCTANE

Contrary to popular belief, premium is not more powerful than regular gas. Premium is formulated to reduce pre combustion ((when the fuel combusts before it's supposed to (it's suppose to combust when the spark plug fires)). The octane number is the measurement of the fuel's tendency to precombust. The lower the number, the easier it is to combust (at lower temperatures and/or compression levels).

Recommended octane levels vary by vehicle. On my G29 Z4, minimum is 89 and recommended is 91. [...]
A fantastic explanation. Thank you very much!
Appreciate 1
StanDiego6248.50