View Single Post
      09-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #24
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
That is interesting to hear. I have not heard that. I have always thought it's gas station specific, except for maybe Amoco that used to advertise their Crystal Plus premium.

I guess the question then will be do we need twice the detergents as regular especially if it is already top tier gas. Furthermore, adding fuel treatment cleaner, which is recommended once every 3,000 miles at the cost of $10 maximum, would be far more economical than filling with premium just for the detergent difference. It usually costs at least $10 more to fill up with premium on every refill.
Consistent use of a Top Tier gas is the most important. Premium branded fuels (Shell, Exxon, etc.) have the added benefit of very quick clean up for both IVD and GDI injectors in as little as 1 tank with today's additive technology.

My general recommendation is to use Top Tier fuel with the appropriate octane for your vehicle. If you frequent cheap, unbranded stations to save pennies then use an aftermarket additive bottle or run 1-2 tanks of Shell/Exxon premium every ~5 tanks.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
VINCER0110.00