View Single Post
      06-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #24
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
LOL, those HP and torque curves... well, aren't... they're not curved at all to begin with (makes sense given the purported instantaneous torque of electric engines). 4WD acknowledged, it's no wonder this little car slays so many otherwise 'quick' cars off of the line (and, apparently, even on the track).

Aside: it's funny how the whole point of this thread (i.e. my intent behind it; I'm more than happy for others to digress) wasn't referenced even once. In reality, I was saying that the little Model 3 Performance demonstrated the inadequacies of the ZF transmission--it's simply too slow to compete in anything but well-timed launch control or manual, perfectly-timed short-shifts. In D2 or D3, the car wrings everything it can out of each gear causing the ZF to convulse into the next gear losing perhaps 0.2 or 0.3s each shift. Neither my M-DCTs nor my E63S' dual wet-clutch automatic suffered this problem. Anyhoo, 1st-world problems...
Wow. LP - I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you once you put up the E63S transmission versus the ZF. The AMG's auto is horrendous. You cannot even manually shift it without - literally - a one Mississippi gap in between. I had to shift several hundred RPM before redline because I knew the Merc trans would hesitate.
Maybe the newer MB's are better - because my 14 E63S was horrific.
That said - I don't see how as the new E63S is slower with more power - so the trans can't be helping it out.

There is no comparison to the ZF. While I agree a DCT is quicker - the ZF is pretty quick and smooth - and everyday driving is so much more superior than the old F10 DCT. The ZF is used everywhere for a reason.
Appreciate 0