View Single Post
      11-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #22
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Since Shawn tracks his car a lot and says stock steel or ceramic brakes both work well, the advantage of the more expensive true 2 piece rotors would be weight savings. Reducing unsprung weight does improve handling, but Shawn actually removed his light weight carbon rotors and installed much heavier steel ones and is not saying there is a significant difference.

The OP’s 2 piece aluminum hat and steel rotor ring combination is going to be closer in weight to stock steel rotors than to the factory option carbon rotors so even less of a performance benefit.
2 piece rotors have a lot of advantages. HOWEVER, the stock BMW ones are two piece as well (look closely. Just because YOU can't take them apart doesn't mean they aren't two piece). The carbons are just two damn expensive. If they cost what the steels cost, I'd use the carbons all the time. But $4000? per? vs. $400. No way. I just couldn't see that much of a difference. My GT-R I could see a little bit more.

HOWEVER, if this two piece rotor was from Brembo, or stoptech, or girodisc? In a heartbeat. I'd at least TRY it. Maybe end up going back to the BMW's.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00