View Single Post
      05-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #88
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
...and Perez..."He said the talks went well – and he has greater clarity. It’s clear that it is his intention to win this weekend’s race – he’s not interested in coming in second – but he also understands the team game."
My take: likely Red Bull told PER during the Barcelona debriefing to focus on maximizing points for VER + the sooner VER gets to WDC 2022, the sooner VER will switch roles and assist PER in trying to win remaining races. I can see VER capable of giving his word to PER in allowing him a race victory, once the 2022 title would in the bag (which is a hypothetical - don't underestimate LEC and RUS fighting for WDC).

And money talks. Wouldn't be surprised if VER proposed to switch internal bonuses for P1 and P2 for the Barcelona race (no fact - just my guess) + reassured PER to lobby for a contract extension. VER knows that PER could have won at Barcelona and that he took one for the team. VER thanked PER via the onboard radio - so that everyone could clearly hear his appreciation - after the pass and also at the end of the race. He also did that during and after the controversial F1 2021 Abu Dhabi race. VER has a loyal attitude to those who help him, prepared to return a favor.

"Why Red Bull used team orders in Spain – and the two-sided argument over their choice":
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...1oRhoE4kZ.html