View Single Post
      07-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #101
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I debadged my car yesterday and last night on my way home from work, these 2 guys pulled up next to me in a camero reving and burning their tires trying to race me. Maybe they thought i was a 330 or they just wanted my attention. But, Obviously, I was thinking to myself, um ok- you are going to kick my a$$ so im not going to even bother, BUT im sure i can take them out on a corner!
Let's be realistic, guys...

I have some news for you. About the only people who know the difference between a 330 and a 325 are the people who own BMWs, or other foreign (to the US) luxury cars. People who aren't "in to" foreign cars don't really know the differences.

Those guys in the Camaro wouldn't have known, and sure wouldn't have cared, what the differences were between a 325 and a 330.

BMW put the badges on my car and they'll stay there. They don't look bad at all, and you cannot really see then from the side.

Most people de-badge thier car are 325 owners. We all know the main reason, but there are different reasons.

Alot of the people here are younger and thier parents bought them the car (whether they admit it or not). Probably those guys are debadging because they don't have the 330, but want people to think they do. We all know why...we were all young once and worried about those trivial things.

Then there are the guys who say they think the car looks cleaner without the badges (mostly 325 owners for some reason), so they scrape them off so thier cars look better to admirers in thier minds. (Again, I don't know why because admirers often like to know what they are looking at, and the badge is usually the last thing you would notice if you were admiring a car) "Wow, what is that...oh look, it's a Lamborghini..what kind? Oh, it says 'Diablo'!")

Then there are the older guys who decided to buy the 3-series because they liked what they saw... like me, and the 330 was the one I was looking at. I never even looked at a 325 because, quite frankly, I didn't know there was such an animal. I have been a car fanatic since I was young, but I never even paid attention to BMW before. I knew they were nice looking, but as far as the numbers on the back of BMW's or Mercedes, well, I never knew what they stood for. It's sort of like the guys who have been into BMW's & such thier whole life may not realize what Z51 or LT4 on the back of a Corvette means.

I have to say that the only people who really know or care about the numbers on the back are other BMW owners or the like. So the only reason for removing them that I can see, especially since they aren't obnoxiously big or out of place, is to prevent other BMW owners or admirers from knowing what the car is....which is strange because who really cares what model it is if it's a good looking car? I hate to break it to you guys, but as far as most performance guys are concerned, whether it's a 325 or a 330, they're both pretty darn slow.

-Dave C. '06 330i

PS: Oh, and for the guy with the Carrera 4 that says that's "just a step down" from the 911 Turbo.... uhh..... it's more like a 300 meter cliff than a step. You debadged so people wouldn't know that you didn't have the turbo. That's the only reason. The car looks no cleaner with or without the factory badge. Porche does offer removal, but not because they think the car looks cleaner without it, otherwise they wouldn't have put it on. It's because they know some peope like to have them removed "for whatever reason".

Last edited by DaveCM5; 07-14-2005 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0