Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Hi again
Quote:
would that harm your engine by going that low? Are you trying to experiment and share your story or do you always drain the tank before refilling? Why risk being stranded?
- Not sure, possibly, but I wouldn't know how - crap in the system maybe?
- Was just curious.
- No, normally fill up when it gets down to about 60 miles range shown, but only because that easily covers a return trip to work and one of the cheapest garages is near my house.
- wasn't in a rush and was curious. not something I always do.

Quote:
so what if the station you pull up to ran out of diesel?
I'd have driven very lightly the two miles to another one, and if that had also run out I'd have driven very, very lightly the half mile home then got in my other car and bought a can of the stuff

I did slow down to a 60mph cruise to conserve the gas, and on a downhill and round a tight off-ramp I did coast it, so it wasn't an entirely free-from-nerves test!
Quote:
what menu are you referring to?
Do a search for 'hidden OBC' - you have to hold down the tripmeter reset button to get into it, then enter a code. There's a thread with full instructions somewhere.

Quote:
does it really kill you to stop for gas 4 more times over the life of the car
nope but it was good to know that the bottom of the tank is not reached before the needle hits the 'empty mark' of the dial - in fact, it went marginally over, but there was not clear air between the needle and the empty mark, fwiw.
Appreciate 0