View Single Post
      04-10-2024, 08:48 PM   #14
hookson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 2015, M5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by swom5 View Post
Update, actually removed the Level 1 catch pan. Coolant tank failed again and coolant leaked thru the two bottom mounting holes. Was barely under warranty, as it expires in April 2024. Dealer replaced tank, 4 injectors on driver's bank as well as coils and harness. Being a boat owner, I think that butyl tape may adequately seal the Level 1, but I will move on to the aluminum RK tank and insulate that with DEI tape. The fact that BMW will not address this problem with a properly engineered solution almost makes we want to sell. . . almost!
The catch pan works. Either was something wrong with the install or your tank cracked in other location and was spraying in the engine bay.
I made a 10k miles roadtrip in M5 across whole USA. My coolant tank started to leak half in to the trip. CCP saved my vacation.

Here is a good video demonstrating how it works and reroutes the leaking coolant. In case of extreme big leak, yes, there is a change it will not be able to reroute all coolant from mounting ports. But this is an extreme scenario.

Also in this video you can see why RK billet tank is not a solution to a problem: from factory this car is designed to release excess coolant pressure through coolant tank cap. When it does that all this coolant will still go on your engine and injectors. So you still need CCP, even with billet tank

Last edited by hookson; 04-11-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
Holset275.50
NCG80M3663.50