03-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
whats in a more expensive helmet that will protect your head more than the helmet that guy got or my racequip sa2015 helmet?
Probably nothing - it’s just my mindset. After years of racing and autocrossing and seeing too many drivers get upside-down or stuff their cars into a wall, I’m naturally suspicious of no-name or relatively unknown safety products. This is complicated by the fact that I sometimes review and test consumer products and have seen many that are “certified” or “approved” by an independent testing lab that do not meet the appropriate standards or later are recalled for life-threatening manufacturing defects. (None fall within the realm of driver safety, BTW.)

So, when it comes to things like helmets, my inclination is to spend a little more and go for the big names; Racequip is certainly one of those, and there are some good helmets from them and other companies for less than $200. I also would not buy an open-face helmet, knowing that an airbag, steering wheel and door panel are just waiting to smash into my face. But that’s my personal choice.
Appreciate 1