View Single Post
      03-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
No need for such butthurt for the M5 F90's loss. It is expected. First things first. The M5 F90 11.4 1/4 mile is expected on that track. It is a dustier and less grippy surface than the optimal conditions of other tracks the car was tested. (Plus the day this was shot, it is clear it is a bit colder and not dry).

Secondly, a lot of American Magazines use 1 feet rollout (that can impact the calculation of the results).

These cars are equally quick. Accept that. The E63 S edged it by a ridiculous margin. It may have done here, it might not do the same in other tests. Who knows? Who cares that 1 car is 0.1s quicker in the 1/4 mile. These cars are about the overall experience and sensation of driving, not drag racing like retard.
It's not about being butthurt - it's about being logical. I'm not this car and one test is just one outcome. CD's was the opposite - although very close. It's going to be the consensus that will tell us the bigger picture.

As the video stated - it tested the M5 before and it quicker - what I was hoping would be included in the video were the trap speeds - they weren't. That would have really ended the discussion one way or the other.

So we have to go to the roll - which they for some odd reason kept the cars in comfort mode versus sport - it here the cars were almost dead even. Now this is where I would actually expect the MB to start pulling slightly as even the Car and Driver test showed the MB caught up - after being behind by one tenth the entire 1/4 to 150 MPH. Gearing and torque could be behind this - but either way - anyone who has done 1/2 mile racing knows - it's really difficult to catch someone once they have a jump.

So what does this all mean? At the very least - It was down to traction - and our presenters launch - which looked to hesitate after he took off.

In the end - the top of the line E63S - beat the "base" M5 in this comparison.

That said - Motortrends will be out soon. And before it does - I will go on record and state the M5 will be quicker - and at least as fast to the 1/4. I do believe the E63S is a better top end roll car (would have a higher 1/2 mile trap). CD showed overall gearing ratios is better for the F90 - despite the MB having 9 gears.

On the actual road course - this is also where I believe there will be less of a competition for the F90. That said - neither of these cars belong on a road course at 4300-4500+ lbs. They can of course do it - and even do it have decently well - but it is a beating on the cars.
Appreciate 0