08-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Reliability depends mostly on the design of the car. Sure, you need to change the oil, etc. based on the maintenance schedule, but cars which are not designed for longevity and reliability will not be reliable even when you follow the maintenance schedule.
No. Just no. Car manufacturer's don't design cars to be unreliable. An engine is not built to last forever and is not designed to. It is full of parts that wear over time and through usage. You can extend its lifespan by using more efficient parts but it will eventually fail (i.e. Injectors, plugs, rod bearings, actuators, etc.). We change these things as PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE because we know how engines work and these items will eventually fail and can pose a catastrophic threat to the engine if not attended to early on.

What people fail to understand is that with the 550i and somewhat the 535i you're getting a performance car. With that, comes more maintenance and less efficieny due to the fact that these parts we know to fail, are working harder and see more usage. That's just the nature of the beast. Let's put it in perspective, you could get 80-120k miles on a clutch out of a Honda Civic. It's not a performance car, so the transmission doesn't see much work. But a transmission is a transmission, you take an EGear transmission with a more efficient clutch and put in a Lamborghini Gallardo and it's only seeing about 15k miles because it sees more usage and works much harder than a transmission in a Honda Civic with 130hp. The dynamics and mechanics are the same, one just works harder than the other and requires more preventative maintenance. People fail to understand that. You can't expect to drive a V8 twin turbo that has the potential to push crazy amount of power and expect to not see any maintenance.
Appreciate 1
RSBro58.00