shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstadt911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Although the R888's stood up to the track wear better than the 4S's, final pressures were very hard to get right, and the tires overheated and were too greasy after 35 minutes on track (just like on my old GT-R). Overall they are a great tire. My next tire will be the Pilot Sport cup 2's, also in 285/35R20 square setup.

All in all, if I were going to do just track work extensively, I'd stick with the R888's, but I have about six events per year. Unless the Pilot Sport Cup's outperform the R888's on overheating I will probably go back to the stock tire. Despite having A LOT of rollover and giving up a fair amount of grip, they are very controllable and pretty fast.

I did change to SRF. The pedal still faded some, but I think we have "brake fade compensation". I felt the car correct some of the pedal height while braking. The front pads last six full track days without making the wear sensors. I have now worn OUT, two full sets of rear pads. On my third set, I turned off DSC to conserve pads. The car is pretty good without DSC, and not as hard to control as I thought it might be.

The biggest surprise was probably to the Porsche cayman's. I think they were surprised that I was able to not only keep up but pass. Especially in the turns. But I was in some really fast groups.

Shawn
Interesting about rear pads as fronts usually take bigger hit with heavy front engined car. Nice to hear rotors holding up though ... assume steels on yours, this is what I opted for too. Curious did you get the BMW maintenance package and does it cover pads and rotors? Appreciate all your info, as these cars deserve a healthy dose of track days. My M5C on order so just planning ahead ...

BTW, VIR long back straight should have had you passing more than just Caymans. I enjoy surprising lots 911s and Caymans including GTS and 4, with M3 CP so hoping M5C will be same or better. Especially our tracks with longer straights like Daytona and Sebring where 600+ hp comes in handy.
I got the standard maintenance package that comes stock. I did not ask about pads. I think that would be disingenuous to expect track use coverage, but it seems thoughtful. Rotors are standing up well.

And yes I have steel. My GT-R ate two full sets of carbon ceramics which was a very expensive event.

Back and front straight of VIR have me moving on for sure, 160 on the back straight. In lower hpde I pass everything, but my last event was Audi club open track (only solo advanced drivers), and most of those cars are on slicks and very hard to close enough in the uphill eases and oak tree to make the pass before the braking zone. While VIR is a power track, the lighting lap times show the twisties make up a lot of ground for any lighter cars. This was borne out my last event. A NSX was very hard to keep up with, and I only passed him because he wanted to follow my line.

All in all, the fastest sedan I've ever driven. The fastest sedan at VIR in the lightning lap ever. But there are faster cars, just not ones you can take the family on vacation in.

Shawn
Appreciate 0