View Single Post
      08-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
I think this is the opposite of safe. You've lost a substantial side impact safety device in your side airbags in exchange for a roll bar that only offers support at the B-pillar which typically is not the weak link in the rollover. Additionally I think side impacts are much more likely in DE than a rollover. Just admit you did this so you could put in 5 point belts and cool-race factor. And its red!
Hmmm, ACTUALLY the only reason I put this in was because more than one of my instructors has said I really needed to get serious about installing more safety equipment (specifically HANS) because of the speeds I'm carrying. You can't run HANS without Harnesses and race seats, and you cant run those without roll bar protection...unless you are ok with possibly being decapitated in a rollover.

The most common injuries on the track are neck/head related. You ask Dale Earnhardt, Roland Ratzenberger, and Ayrton Senna if they minded not having side airbags. I'm pretty sure they'd rather have HANS instead...

Don't imply that choosing whether to have side impact airbags is a life/death choice. Drivers have survived crashes LONG before side impact airbags were ever implemented in road cars. The truth is, it's the seatbelt that will save your life.
Appreciate 0