View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by octironSmith View Post
Thanks for that detailed post. It really helps put things in perspective.

I must say, though, I drove the TCKline 135i with race seats at Oktoberfest a couple of years ago and it was a night and day difference from the stock seats.

What about using a harness with the stock seats? Any opinions on that?
i especially wanted a racing seat because i'm in serious need of head room when i have my helmet on (damn BMWNA ruling out sunroof deletes!)

there are 4-point harnesses designed to be added to stock or aftermarket seats; the schroth rallye 4 comes to mind. it's important to note, however, that schroth does not approve rallye 4 belts in the e82 chassis. i was told this is due to the steeper angle of the tailstrap (the belt leading from the rear seat over your shoulders). this steeper angle could translate to increased spinal compression in a frontal impact. i've also heard others saying they've been told by schroth that the e82 chassis' mounting points in the rear lap belt connection may also not be approved for load-bearing on this particular angle. this could possibly be remedied by installing a rallye 3 system to the c-pillar rear shoulder belt position, which would fix the angular issue. the rallye 3 makes me a little nervous, with the driver's entire weight being linearly applied to a single strap, though. (to be fair, schroth is more than reputable, and i doubt they'd put out a belt if it couldn't absorb and restrain a reasonable load).
Appreciate 0