View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by octironSmith View Post
I see. So, from a safety perspective, the only airbags we lose are the ones built into the seats? Also, what is the advantage of selective airbag deployment over deploying all of them?

Also, I wonder if it's possible to purchase occupancy sensors from the dealership to install on aftermarket race seats. Thoughts?
the only airbags you should lose are the airbags in the seats, but those are the primary side airbags. if you delete those all you have is a curtain on the sides, which isnt much. the downside of leaving the light on and potentially having all airbags fire in a crash is that airbags are very expensive to replace. this could significantly increase the repair cost of a minor to moderate accident.

to me that's all moot anyway; not having a primary side airbag is enough to make me throw away the idea entirely. especially if we're talking about this in the context of hpde etc., where i want all the safety and crash protection i can get. bmw (and other) engineers have done an amazing job of increasing the survivability of terrible accidents. i'm not about to mess with that. if i could install my sparco evos without deleting an airbag, i would have, but to me the only other acceptable solution comes when you've replaced the side protection of the airbag with that of a full cage.

in my e46 m3 with sparco evos i used the occupancy sensors made for the CSL, since it came with a version of the recaro pole position shell. i don't know if those would work with the e82 though.
Appreciate 0