03-03-2024, 01:41 PM   #70
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I can show my M235 getting 49mpg over 30 miles going 60mph on a flat road and then down a 20 mile minor grade, essentially coasting. That car is rated at 28mpg highway. The car consistently gets 22mpg combined over the last 8 years.

Point being, you're being a bit misleading. That Suburban definitely gets great mpg for what it is, but in 70mph+ highway driving with some minor grades and a little bit of wind, it ain't seeing 38mpg. Maybe low 30s on a good day and more like upper 20s. I've read some forums and watched a couple YT videos because I was a bit taken back that a Suburban could get such good mpg. The best I saw a tester get was almost 32mpg over a 30 mile flat grade drive at 70mph.
I think you not recognizing how amazing upper 20a out of a beast like that in those conditions is a bit misleading.

Our Expedition gets 21mpg highway. In flat ass Florida at 80or somon the highway. A diesel suburban getting 50% more mpg is nuts. And Expedition is the duel economy champ in that class other than the diesel.

We strongly considered diesel Tahoeburban but didn't for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is GM's idiotic packages. I wanted an RST with all the options. I hate chrome and shiny metal like that, and wanted it blacked out. RST blacks it out but doesn't offer critical features like cooled seats, and for a long time didn't offer radar cruise. Pre ier offered the options but no blackout package, and a kinda old person interior. We could have gone GMC Denali, but didn't like the styling on those as much. Reason 2 was how insane diesel prices were. Despite the fuel economy gains, it was never going to break even vs regular unleaded at 21mpg. Diesel prices have come down some since then, so maybe there's a cost effectiveness now, I haven't looked.

Reason 3 that wasn't as big a deal was how tall the hood was. It was taller than my wife. She didn't like that. I'd have thrown lowering springs in, but Expedition had a much lower hood and an overall more cost effective package for us, so we ended up.withba loaded limited stealth.
Appreciate 0