Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
It might be a super car, but if the C6 ZO6 had 650/650 it would've been a rocket ship. I am just not impressed with the C7 ZO6 and I love vettes. I have a 2011 ZR1. But you are correct, still a great car that performs and the M5 is no joke as well.
Love the C6 ZR1 - looked into getting one. I am the first to acknowledge that the C7 Z06 has many faults even though I own one lol. I blog about it all the time in fact. That said - it is in its own category - and can be relatively quick. But I digress - why the problems with the C7Z?

The C6 is a much more aerodynamic car (as the C5 is much more slippery than the C6) - it's Cd is much less than the C7 - which even without its horrid aero making it much worse - the shape of the C7 itself still has a poor Cd. It was meant to create downforce. In general it is poor at high speed anything.

This is why it is even - stock - with the C6 ZR1 to about 3rd and the ZR1 starts to leave it hard in fourth once the speeds get over 120 MPH. C6ZR1 is also faster in the 1/4 on average as much as C7Z fanboys will cry it isn't. 125 MPH is about average for the C7Z - while the ZR1 is about 128 MPH on average (with 130-131 possible). Removing the horrid fixed C7Z aero adds about 1-2 MPH on average as an example (depending on the power level of the car).

The other main issue is the uber tiny roots-type 1.74L "blower". Add a poor engine bay design for circulation - and you have timing retardation even during a 1/4 mile pull (personally experienced that). On a hot day - people have reported losing power just driving around after some WOT.

Finally - direct injection - which is pure evil for modding. DI is about when to spray fuel versus how much - and that fuel has to be there when it needs it. There is a reason why the new ZR1 has both PI and DI stock. Port injection cars are just so much easier to mod.

So - having tried to do a FBO build - which was over-spinning an already tiny, roots, SC - and creating even more heat - I gave in and replaced the SC with an F1A PC. Car works well now - but what a road to get there.

Great car otherwise.
That is the C7ZO6 biggest problem, that shitty little blower. You are correct with everything you said. I just felt for what the C7ZO6 was it should've been so much more.
vtknight966.50