04-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I am in the same boat currently. I put clearbra all over the front end of my 1M, I wash it every week and have stopped drying it with towels in favor of blow drying with a leaf blower to mitigate swirl marks. I feel so lucky that I got such an awesome car that I really want to keep it pristine. I chronicled "my first wound" on the forum, a little bump from someone with a license plate frame to my rear. Left two phillips head screw driver marks that are barely noticeable but left me distraught for a few days (still kind of am). I park as far away from others as I can in public settings.

I am having an internal conflict now. I obviously am going to go out of my way to keep this thing as nice as possible, but should I be doing so in a way that limits the amount of fun I have with it? Whenever my lady and I go somewhere we take her car, I don't want a valet touching my car. I am afraid that until I can justify a daily driver I will likely continue these habits.

I plan on taking it to some autocross and eventually track events. If I don't I feel as though I will only be scratching the surface of this cars potential. I love my 1m and hope I never have to sell it.

I would never hand my keys over a to a valet guy especially with a manual transmission. They're as likely to grind your gear box as they are to tear away in your 1M.

Having said that, go ahead and enjoy your autocross dreams. You will be scratching it if you do, but you'll also enjoy it fully. Therein is the balance.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0