Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Could it have been an alpina B3?

It it didn't say alpina it must have been a dummy badge - weird.

Anyway ... how's the gearbox bedding in ?

1st, 2nd and reverse were hideously notchy on mine to begin with.

I've done just over 1000 miles now and suddenly on Friday it seemed to loosen up - much better now - changing gear isn't a battle.

Reverse is still sticky though. When I started the car at lunchtime, it just didn't want to go into gear.

The notchy feeling seems to be at the 'gate', so I am presuming it's an issue with the synchros. Certainly revving the engine a little helps overcome the resistance. I can't remember it being such a problem with my last new BMW (e46 320cd sport) - wondered how your 'pup' was behaving.

In the 530d 3rd gear was the monster - you could floor it at 30 in third and keep going all the way to 100mph in double quick time. 2nd does the same in the 330i - from 25 to 65 in 2nd is enormous fun and you get a seriously nasty rasp from the exhaust at 6500 rpm

I haven't exploited 3rd because by the time you need it you are already near the limit.

No it wasn't an Alpina ... clearly someone who had done some home made mods ... the twin exhaust pipes were MASSIVE ... Too big really !

It was a newish car though.

So you have hiy 6,500 rpm

Actually I think I have a couple of times and it does sound good.

I have found you can hear the engine in full glory with least surrounding noise by giving it some in 1st gear with the window down ... a glorious noise which I will never tire of hearing I'm sure
Appreciate 0