NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
ha ha ha .... our car choices are on the same wave length more than you know

Before my Zed, I had a Civic Type R (2004 revised model) and yes I have changed car a few times over the last couple of years

The Civic Type R was an amazing car, if a little hard core.

The ride was ROCK HARD and tuned for race tracks ... not UK roads !

It was very well built and many quality materials were used.

The vetec engine was glorious, with the change of cam at 6,000 rpm ... it went like a rocket and sounded great.

BUT ... it was not a great motorway cruiser in terms of engine noise, as those revs certainly became apparent on the motorway and you had to keep the car "in the zone" for rapid progress.

Out of the upper vtec range ie pre 6,000 rpm the car was quite steady and could catch you out if you weren't if you wanted to out drag someone But keep it in the zone and it really did fly.

Consequently ... thats the beuty of the "versatile" 330i ... its gives you all that and so much more ... its even faster than the Civic Type R and that is a compliement

Touched on 6,000 rpm at the weekend too

Had a good drive out on Saturday .. and even had a fellow Bimmer having a friendly to do with me.

It was the last shape, but a new'ish model and looked like an Msport.

He overtook me on an average speed monitored camera section of road and i thought: WTF as he pulled away very rapidly but then he slowed WELL DOWN at the end ... he was risking it though as he could've calcualated his distance wrong.

I eventually caught up and we reached some traffic lights facing a dual carriageway. At this point I saw the model enscription on his boot lid:

"D3" ... with a heavily modded DUAL bazooka exhaust which hinted at some serious power hike.

Hmm, i thought, all i could compare to was the 330i D which I knew I could beat from a standing start but not so sure about in gear accelleration.

He pulled away and I gave some gas and overtook him.

I then eased off and he started catching me again, I wasn't gonna drop a gear and kept it in 6th and he kept getting nearer and nearer.

Shortly before he passed me I had to slow down for my turn off.

If I didn't have one eye on running her in, I reckon I could have dropped a gear or 2 and pulled away, but interesting little experience all the same.
I didn't realise there was an e46 alpina D3 - are you sure?

I reckon the 330i will best a 330d at any speed, so long as it's in the right gear. That means for 50-75 you are going to need to be in 2nd or 3rd () so best to wait until it's broken in.

Trouble is in the real world there isn't enough time to change down and so the pesky diesel's have the edge - especially if they have the step.

Anyway ... alpina D3 has 208 bhp - about as fast as a 330cd - nice car.
Appreciate 0