08-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
DCT Launch Control Update

Just finished another autocross event today. Normally, I never bothered to use launch control since there were tight corners so close to the start. Today, I decided to give it a shot and I finally have the answer to the question "What is the minimum travel distance required to use Launch Control again?"

The answer: Very little distance!

We had a short course this week, ~35-40 second range, I used launch control 5 runs in a row with the only driving in between runs being the time on course and driving back to grid, probably just over a quarter mile. Effectively, a drag racer could use launch control every pass.

I also found out it's very quick to engage. I pulled up to the start with the trans in M1, DCT and Sport buttons. Holding the brake at the start, and to launch I just slammed on the gas and immediately took my foot off the brake. The car didn't move until the revs reached launch revs (does not take long, obviously) THEN launched, even though my foot was already off the brake.

On another note, my car was parked with the engine off for 2 hours before my heat. I took it easy for 1 run to get the temps up, and was able to use launch control for the rest of the runs. I didn't try to use LC on the first run.

Took 1st in class D-Stock again today and people are starting to comment on how well the car is doing in stock form on run flat tires. I absolutely love it. It needs nothing!