View Single Post
      03-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Others on the forum have removed them entirely. I don't think it will ever show an active fault (mine failed and were always open, never had an alert). Seems to be a shadow code indicating there's a problem. That said, why? The B5x engines were setup with this in mind for optimum fuel efficiency and aerodynamics. The engine stays warmer for longer after shut down, i.e. it returns to operating temperature shortly after driving (depending on the temp of course). It's an automatic system that is.. well, smarter than we are. It opens/closes to maintain optimal engine temperature while also being smart enough to care about aerodynamics and airflow. I wouldn't modify it for the hell of it -- certainly not for aesthetics.

I like to let my engine warm up to the happy point before giving it WOT. It is parked for 7-8 hours in a garage at all day. When I drive home, within a minute or two we're good to go. Don't know why you'd need to modify this unless you're running an extremely modified setup where the shutters closed are causing you heat soak. They seem to be open more than they are closed.

This is an entirely automated system and the vehicle has both mechanical and electric cooling pumps. Once parked, it will run the fans and pumps with the shutters open, until it returns to a programmed temperature and shuts everything off/closes the shutters.

Last edited by timmahh; 03-18-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0