View Single Post
      10-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #13
delta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5Comp; '14 F25 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyan92 View Post
OP - this is exactly the same thing happening in my 21 LCI. This has nothing with the sequence of shutting down. There is definitely something going on in the rear and it is not consistently happening every time but more so than not.

I'll ask my service advisor during the next check in.

This never happened in my 2019 pre-LCI. I posted it earlier in the year after having the car for a month or so - see my third point:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834085
Just read your earlier June 2021 thread entitled "My LCI - is it all in my head." Interesting to note the following comments on that June 2021 thread:

wesleyan92 remarked: "Also, when I turn the car off, 50% of the time, I feel a clunk/thud in my rear end coming from the bottom of the car. Super weird."

PunjabiM3 remarked: "I have had mine since Jan 2nd and have also been experiencing this thud coming from the rear when putting the car into park. I wonder if perhaps there is something wrong with the rear diff? What is the build date on your car? Please post if you figure out what it is coming from, I have thought about taking the car to have it looked at but it is periodic and nothing that sounds bad, at least not yet."

While three positive responses (including mine) doesn't a definite survey trend make, the issue is rather unusual and worthy of at least a raised eyebrow or two. Something is definitely happening in the M5's rear drivetrain/parking brake componentry just after ignition cut-off. What is it?

At this point, I'll be following your strategy for now, i.e., "...it's not that bad, is not getting worse, and doesn't impact any performance or operation." That said, though I just brought the car in for its 1200 mile break-in a few weeks back, I plan to check back in with the dealer to make this seemingly innocuous issue a matter of record. You know. Just in case...

My build date is April/2021, BTW.

Last edited by delta; 10-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Added the possibility of a maladjusted parking brake
Appreciate 0