S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlawyer View Post
So I was at the streets this weekend and had plenty of fun. The first run the temp was maybe upper 80s and the car was fine. Oil temp got to 280 or so and I think I noticed some loss of power after a while in the back straight but the car never went into limp. That was in valet mode on the AA Xede.

Next run it was 92 and I switched on the Xede, which I wasn't planning on doing. But I wanted to follow these two guys with modified Minis I was talking to who seemed fast in the 1st run. It was like driving a different car and the lack of lsd was way more of an issue every time I was on the gas. I did one lap with the minis behind me. Then pulled to the right in the straight to let them pass but I didn't lift at all, I wanted to see if they could pass but I pulled on them really hard, I had to back off to let them in front. Anyway after following them for one lap, the car was pulling all the boost and had no power at all, not limp mode because the power would be back after 30 seconds or so. Nothing showed on any display.

That was less than two laps going full on, probably at about 1:18 a lap. So on a hot day, figure on 2 minutes of fun at full speed, and that was even after a one hour cool down between sessions.
That’s with a piggy back.

I switched the Xede off for the rest of the day but the temps got up to about 100 and the car would loose all power after a few laps going all out. At 8/10s the car was fine. The funny thing is the car would loose the power in the same place on the course every time, during the longest sweeper before the back straight with the rumble strips. I thought it had something to do with the oil getting pushed to the side of the pan.

I will post some vids soon.
You sure you didnt get a bad case of heat soak to the system? I have taken many Audis S4s on track with turbos in the heat..you definitely feel the power going away since the intake temps rise.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0