mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTSRY1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Terrible. I hope that most of these rumors are not true.

It's bad enough that they are using the same engine from the F10 M5, now there's a possibility that an M5 will get an Automatic Transmission?! How about ///M Division develops a DCT that can hold up to 900lbs/ft of torque? After all, I did it! For less than $6k too! Rebuilding my DCT with robust clutches wasn't too hard at all. No automatic transmission is going to be as fast as a DCT. The Auto on the C7 Z06 Vette is great but it's not lightning fast like a PDK or MDCT is. Or how about, instead of increasing torque, they work on significantly reducing the weight of the M5? I feel like there is little innovation and/or reason for me to want to buy any future M product. They aren't pioneering engine development anymore, they are just improving on what's already been done before. Sure the S85 V10 and the SMG were pieces of garbage when it came to long term reliability, but at least it was in keeping with great innovation and the exotic nature of motorsport. Now we may be seeing an M5 with the exact same type of transmission that is on a Kia Sorrento. With that said, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that the next M5 will be the best and fastest M5 ever, however how they are going about it is extremely disappointing for me personally. I have no problem with an AWD system on an M5 or the fact that they want to throw lane departure warning on the car, or other weight adding features, but at least make an M5 with some Carbon Fiber doors, or at least doors made out of aluminum to get the weight down. How about developing a 3.0L Twin Turbo V10 engine that revs to 8,000rpm, makes 600hp, and is twice as fuel efficient as the S63tu engine and give the M5 some true exotic nature again, while complying with CARB and CAFE standards. I'm going to laugh if they have to mount the engine block too high and forward of the front axle, just like Audi does because they want to make the next M5 AWD. Although I dissent on this subject, I know people will continue to buy the car and claim it is the fastest car they've ever driven. Well the Tesla Model S can do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds these days and I have no desire to buy one of the those, too boring. I want ///M cars to sound and feel like race cars again. I guess I will just have to build my own.
Couldn't have said it better
+1. clicking through 8 gears suck. too many gears and close ratios.