07-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #76
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Current BMW reminds me of Apple in the 1990s. In the beginning they had the best product due to a lot of unique synergistic features that put them way ahead of everyone else. The product was opinionated and people loved it. Then in pursuit of market share and or lack of product direction they tried to be all things to all people. Too many models, watered down features, and ultimately people lost interest. It wasn't until the late 1990s/early 2000s when they returned to their roots that people fell in love all over again. They stopped trying to be all things to all people and they started to win again.

With BMW, they lost their identity a bit since the late 1990s/early 2000s. People used to buy BMWs *because* they were different than Mercedes/Audi/Acura/Lexus/etc.. But now that BMW is moving in that direction, at some point soon people will be asking, why should I buy a BMW that drives more like a lexus, when I can buy a lexus and not have to deal with fixing a BMW?

In short, this is what happens when you let focus groups and committees design your products. You might get broader appeal in the short run and on paper, but you lose your direction and identity and your product suffers.
Appreciate 7