06-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #50
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
The 'ring times I was comparing (7:36 for M5 Comp, 7:29.57 for CS) were set by the exact same driver, Christian Gebhardt, as reported on fastestlaps.com (here is the link: https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife).

While I don't have a link supporting my statement that the CS was on Corsa tires, my understanding is that published 'ring times are for cars in stock form, including tires, unless otherwise specified. My understanding is that the CS comes with Corsa tires as stock.

In any case, while I am sure the CS is a fine car and has some level of exclusivity over and above a base or comp M5, I am not convinced that it is actually faster on track.

As for comparing the CS to the AMG and the Porsche, those were driven by factory drivers, but Christian Gebhardt is no slouch. Based on reports from fastestlaps.com, it appears he is consistently within 2 to 5 seconds of factory drivers with Porsche and AMG cars. 7 to 8 seconds is quite a bit to make up with just a different driver. We shall see when BMW's factory driver hits the 'ring. It is a bit odd that BMW has not yet published a 'ring time with its own driver.

I do believe the CS will be close or under the gt63 time of 7:25:xx when factory times post, only to be overtaken soon by the gt73. The project 8 has a completely different price point and purpose. Agree it’s unusual they haven’t so far, yet we see the Nürburgring outline on the headrest! Thanks for sharing the link to the Corsas.

I also don’t think most CS buyers are buying the car as their exclusive track cars so comparing track times is simply an academic exercise for most of us, myself included.

Last edited by malrash; 06-10-2021 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0