05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
is it better to put in neutral and hold the brakes when standing on a steep hill, instead of just having it in D and brake? I mean the car is obviously trying to move but you're not letting it, by braking.. Is this a non-problem?
No. BMW have incorporated brake hill assist in their 3 Series' cars since the E90. The car isn't trying to move if you lift your foot off the brake when on a hill. It holds the car still for about 2-3 seconds.

This is of benefit to the MT cars, to stop roll back. The driver has time to move his/her foot to the accelerator and let the clutch out, without risk of rolling back.

For the 8AT cars, it keeps the car still for around 2-3 seconds if you don't apply the accelerator. After that time, hill assist disengages and the 8AT will try to roll forward, while a 6MT will roll back.

To a degree, the hill assist helps when keeping the car in D.

Of course, if you have ASS active, the car's engine shuts down anyway - no stress on the tranny, so with ASS, it is better to keep the tranny in D for an instant start up when ready to move on.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0