05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Very interesting and informative link! However, I dont see anything connected Neutral being more harmful than D when at a full stop? Whisky-Man seems to lean towards the wear of actually changing gears/mode and that sounds more like the mechanical action itself wearing parts out (kinda like a door knob having a lifetime of say 10'000 turns). But if we put that aside, wouldnt putting it in Neutral stress it less as is doesnt have to work at all (the tranny)? I just wanna do whats correct, I mean I am one who always before I stop to park the car, brake with the pedal, pull the hand brake with foot still on pedal, put in N and remove foot from pedal to let the car move that inch till I feel the hand brake has got it firmly, THEN I press P. I do this to not put load on the prawl thing..
Its the act of going from N to D and what not, that is more wear than needed. Its marginal I know. But it's better to put additional wear on brake pads than the trans. If you are leasing, well the trans won't be your problem during your tenure, so do whatever you prefer.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0