Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
How is rear view camera still part of executive pack? I thought by law it was required to be standard on all cars?
https://www.transportation.gov/brief...ity-technology

" The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today issued a final rule requiring rear visibility technology in all new vehicles under 10,000 pounds by May 2018. This new rule enhances the safety of these vehicles by significantly reducing the risk of fatalities and serious injuries caused by backover accidents. "

Sounds like BMW is ready to open themselves up for Class action with their greediness over options..
Doubtful. BMW has a fleet of lawyers and has had to deal with regulators before. They've known about the requirement for years. Rear view camera has been on every new 2018 BMW sold by BMWNA (IIRC). The rear view camera is also standard on the M5, and even the M5 comp. I am almost 99% certain that it may be a different rear view camera to be installed instead of the base one in order to operate with the surround view cameras.

Even if that's not the case, VIRs are notorious for showing selections in the wrong section. For example, our DAP package showed the LED lights as a sub option to it which was not the case for MY18 M3s, at all.

Bottom line, BMW is not about to "risk it all" for a backup camera in the US when it has inserted it into every car and earlier than it had to. They are not stupid. Once the ordering guide is posted or the first VIN comes out without exec pack we will see it as an included option.

Lastly, it's not clear if a private right of action is created by the regulation. May just be a fine or a refusal to certify for safety on the road by the NHTSA. I guess theoretically there could be a class action claim if enough people were injured due to the failure, and we could have a products liability action, but as an attorney, that seems like a headache that costs marginal to avoid.

All that nonsense above (from me) being said, I am with you in that it would be IDIOTIC for BMW to blatantly go against a regulation like this.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1