01-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
Could you give out any pointers as how one could avoid this scenario? In the future, I would like to lower my 135i to minimize body roll and maximize in neutral handling (maybe with an ever so slight tendency to over steer); however, I'm afraid that I might lower it too much,which would retard the roll-center as you stated.

Granted, I don't think I would be doing any suspension upgrades until I feel limited by the stock sport suspension on the 135i.

Anyone else have any pointers?
Before you lower the car, I'd first try a good set of front and rear swaybars, such as UUC, H&R, Active Autowerke or others. They will go a long way to reduce body roll, improve turn-in, and reduce understeer (if properly adjusted). If you still want a lower ride, then...

I'm not a fan of aftermarket springs classified as "Race" springs installed for street driving. I believe they lower the car excessively and actually have too low a spring rate for street use. That leaves the two most popular choices:

1. H&R or similar brand "Sport" springs with a good aftermarket struts/shocks such as Koni or Bilstein. Pay close attention to the advertised drop and try to see pics of similar cars using that setup.

2. Coilovers with springs designed for the use of the car: street, combo, or race, again with good struts/shocks with valving designed to work with the springs.

It's a matter of budget and if you need adjustability and how much. It's important to make changes incrementaly rather than wholesale, in order to feel the effect each has on the cars handling.