semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Suspension dynamics is indeed one of the most complicated automotive subjects. Over the course of 3 years (and three SCCA Solo regional championships) I took my E36 M3 from stock to a state of suspension tune that was no longer a pleasure to drive on the street. There are always compromises. Just one example: Many people like the looks of a really slammed low car. The reality is that for that desired look they have given up suspension travel which limits bump absorbtion and, in the worst case, the front MacP strut suspension's roll-center can actually go below ground level (believe me, you won't like the way it handles!). For me it was defiitely a trial and error process, but starting from an extensive knowledge base created by others that had gone before me.

I will not make the same mistake with this 135 that I'll be using as a dual purpose car, so I can expect my Solo results to be less successful.
Could you give out any pointers as how one could avoid this scenario? In the future, I would like to lower my 135i to minimize body roll and maximize in neutral handling (maybe with an ever so slight tendency to over steer); however, I'm afraid that I might lower it too much,which would retard the roll-center as you stated.

Granted, I don't think I would be doing any suspension upgrades until I feel limited by the stock sport suspension on the 135i.

Anyone else have any pointers?
Appreciate 0