View Single Post
      10-05-2005, 01:40 AM   #2
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
While we're on this topic, I thought I should mention why Asians (particulaly Japanese people) love white cars. First of all, in Japan, people value the cherry blossom tree, with it's white petals and cherry-pink flowers. So that's why they like white cars. You may have seen several white Subaru Imprezas with cherry-pink badges. Well, now u now what that symbolizes.
Secondly, Asian people are OBSESSED with having pale-white skin. In fact, many American cosmetic companies market special "skin-whitening" products in Asia. So why the obsession? It's about perceived socio-economic status. In the past, poorer people who worked on rice fields would develop dark tans. The wealthier people who worked in buildings would have pale-white skin. Of course, this is no longer the case in modern Asian society, but it's an old stereotype that has carried on. This also explains why u may have seen some older Asian ladies wearing huge sun visors and carrying UV-blocking umbrellas. I think they would die if they got a freckle.
Appreciate 0