Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Utenigma,

That is not the line through 7-8. I know many people teach it, but it just is not the line. Look at the rubber marks on track out of 7 and entry braking into 8. They tell the story. Start right at entry to 7, turn in to clip the apex of 7 at full throttle. If done right, it will push you out to the tire marks at track out. Ride the right side into 8 and brake hard to hug the inside edge over the apex. 8 is a throw away. Carry the speed thru 6-7. Then back on full gas thru 9 until 11. All that arcing for 8 is not the quickest line unless you are a miata.

Thanks for the feedback. We tried that line a few times. My car's so heavy and unwilling to turn that I'd either have to slow down to what felt like parking lot speeds to stay attached to the right side around 8, or we'd go in too fast and end up completely out of position and have to give up 9. The only way that felt comfortable through there was to widen out 8 by approaching from the left side after 7 so that I could get back to the late apex at 8 lined up for 9 with the rear end settled so I could start accelerating.

Remember I'm in a close to 4k lb sedan with McPherson front suspension, basically no front camber and an open rear diff with half the horsepower to weight and likely half the braking potential of your GT3. That being said, you are a 1/2 second faster from 7 to 9 than I was indexing the video - I'm by no means the an expert and next time I'm out there I'll likely give that line another shot.

One that never felt right to me was 15. We always went straight along the left side then pointed into the corner and waited for a super late turn in, with the goal of having more speed in the next straight. Again my car doesn't turn on a dime, and I felt like we were wasting time driving in the wrong direction while creating what felt like a slower, tighter turn - all to have higher speed on straight that lasted all of 3 seconds. We didn't need any more speed in carousel, the car was on the limit of traction the whole way around feeding while feeding in throttle. I've seen some time trial guys just stay left around 15 and I might try that next time to see how it feels.

Last edited by utenigma; 03-30-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0