08-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i simply do not understand the hype behind these 8 speed ZF automatic gearboxes.

i have driven many of them now...on BMWs and on Audis and find them utterly irritating. They are always switching gears in automatic mode as they never seem to be in the right gear or stable in a gear, and in manual mode it is nowhere near as engaging as a dual clutch gearbox.
I have to agree somewhat... When I first got the F30 I was coming off of my 2011 A3 which was a 6 speed.. and man that thing could GO... I always drove it in manual... When I got the F30 with the 8 speed I was disappointed at first because it seemed like the two extra gears were just getting in the way.. It took me a while to get used to it and to get the feel for getting the most power out of it.... but having had it now for almost a year I really like it... I cant say its better than the 6 speed, but I guess Ive just gotten used to it... I love the F30, but Im thinking about getting the 228i when it gets here... same engine (which I like) and a lighter, smaller car... The 328i is a little bigger than I wanted, but I really loved the way it drove... I hope the 228i drives the same... I drove a 128i and didnt like it one bit..

2012 328i F30/ Window Tint, M-Performance Kidney Grilles, Sport Front Trim Pieces with Whiskers, VMR V721s 19x8.5 F/19x9.5 R, (Coilovers Coming Soon!)
Appreciate 0