Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Hahaha. I don't know how they tuned it, but I know why they did the Artificial sound. It's because of European restrictions on emissions and mufflers and decibels. They laws are now making it so quiet that you can't hear it inside the car.
So all the manufacturers (VW, Audi, MB, BMW, etc) are adding the fake noises in the stereo car audio soundtrack to mimicking the real noises of older generations.

To BMW credit, it's one of the most advanced fake ones and it actually has a microphone in the engine and exhaust to play back some real sounds through the speakers.

But it's like taking a CD or cassette tape and using a cellphone to record it and play it back through Bluetooth speakers. Any "true" audiophile will cringes at that statement. It's so far from pure that even most non audiophile will notice at least some distortion.
I agree that the newer cabins have really solid sound isolation, hence why they chose to pump in the fake sounds. But funny enough, when they first started using ASD like in the F10s and F80s era, the exhausts were decently loud. I remember with the M4 CS the OEM exhaust and burble tune from BMW was in full bloom. Loud and full of pops and bangs from the factory. I mean even with pre-LCI north american F90s the exhausts are still decently loud and I still struggle to believe that the pops and bangs are tuned this loud from the factory. I guess they originally started doing ASD to compensate for interior isolation, but now they have to rely on it more and more. .
Appreciate 1