Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
You don't lose any backfires or pops and bangs. It just sounds less because you can't hear it with the sound proof windows.

Roll down your windows, or setup a microphone or camera outside your car. It's there and 100% as loud either way.

Coding it off just removes it from your car stereo speakers. Interior only. Has nothing to do with the engine or exhaust.
I used to wonder why the F10 M5 sounded like half a V10 in the cabin. . I wonder why they decided to tune the ASD in that generation to mimic a V10. Perhaps due to the E60 M5.
Hahaha. I don't know how they tuned it, but I know why they did the Artificial sound. It's because of European restrictions on emissions and mufflers and decibels. They laws are now making it so quiet that you can't hear it inside the car.
So all the manufacturers (VW, Audi, MB, BMW, etc) are adding the fake noises in the stereo car audio soundtrack to mimicking the real noises of older generations.

To BMW credit, it's one of the most advanced fake ones and it actually has a microphone in the engine and exhaust to play back some real sounds through the speakers.

But it's like taking a CD or cassette tape and using a cellphone to record it and play it back through Bluetooth speakers. Any "true" audiophile will cringes at that statement. It's so far from pure that even most non audiophile will notice at least some distortion.
Appreciate 1
pcai377.00