View Single Post
      12-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #43
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’m no saint, but I try to do good where I can.

One rule I have is tip more than 20%, minimum $5.00 (Waffle House where the tab might be under $10), unless the service is really, really bad - then still 15% because I don’t know what might be going on in that servers life but I’m not making it worse.

I rarely get stressed in traffic anymore. Makes about zero difference in my arrival time if I let someone cut in, etc. Perhaps they are stressed, late, or have a minor emergency? Perhaps not, but why not let them in?

Always hold the door for someone within a few paces (coming or going), last to enter or exit an elevator. Basic kindnesses.

Every once in a while I’ll pay for the meal of someone behind me in a drive-thru, but not so much anymore because it has become kind of a cheesy gesture.

I don’t do things for attention (the piano is anonymous for example) on me, but will support attention for the recipient if they want it.

There are opportunities every day for little kindnesses. These are much more pleasing to find and execute than being rude or nasty. Life is all about time, not money or anything else. Using time to help someone else is nice. At least that’s how I see it.
This all describes me pretty well too. Definitely not a saint, but I do try to make the world a little better place for someone, at least.

Quote:
I donate a lot of stuff, and try to find appropriate places. We’re about to move so there is a lot to give. Steinway piano to a music school in a low income and low prospects part of the state. Nothing inspires like arts, and there is nothing better for a budding musician than to be able to use a top quality instrument. Clothes to shelters and rehab places, where they go directly to people instead of being resold. Goodwill as a last resort, but still better than tossing in the garbage anything still useful.
As someone who was a musician (was pretty good at it too), I can tell you that you're absolutely right. The privileged beginning musician starting out with a Bach Stradivarius is one thing (they probably won't appreciate it), but a kid in a low income area being given the opportunity to play ON A STEINWAY is MASSIVE. That gift is absolutely incredible and I aspire to do such things some day. Thank you for doing this. It literally makes me a little misty eyed thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3502.50
MKSixer34184.50