Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicslick146 View Post
Is it me or does each generation of M5 seem like we're getting less and less value, to the point where the F90 feels like a ripoff..? The M5 used to be... I dunno, special? We used to get bespoke engines and transmissions and suspensions... The E39 engine had 8 individual throttle bodies... The E60 was a freegin V-10 that revved to 8500 rpm! With the F-10, was disappointed the engine was largely sourced from the stock engine, but at least it had a high performance DCT tranny.... With the new M5, what the heck is the M-premium going towards exactly...? The profit margins for the F-90 must be through the roof.... Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the new car will be quick for sure, and I'm fully aware of that the sole purpose of any business is to make money, period. But as a long time m enthusiast and current F-10 driver, it's just a little sad I guess.....
But does the car really need a DCT? Honestly, the DCT was just something for people to gloat about at their local cars and coffee. It's not like the car will actually go visit a track anyway. At least not for 99% of M5 owners who drive them.

One could make the same argument for individual throttle bodies and 8250 RPM redline.
Unless you're racing on a road course, ITBs and high-revs are just bragging rights, right?

I agree with the original comment to an extent.
There was something particularly special about the M-cars of yore.
In particular, the M5s of the past had concrete links to BMW's racing ventures at the time. The E28 & E34 M5s used handbuilt powerplants descended from the BMW M1 supercar. The E39 M5's engine found widespread use in motorsport racing, and the E60 M5's V10 masterpiece was a result of the trickle-down effect of BMW's participation in Formula 1.
If I wanted to give the S63 powered F10 and F90 a break, at least the M6 racecar technically uses an engine derived from the S63, so at least there's still a link.
The point is, the M5 (and M-cars in general) was always about pushing the limits of motorsport/racing technology into a sedan/saloon car. The side-effect was that you got a really fast saloon, but the DNA from motorsport came first.

Does any of that matter during the commute to work? Probably not, and that's probably why gradually M-cars are becoming more generic, because BMW knows it can get away with it.
Why spend more money and R&D if the consumer won't notice a difference and only cares about numbers?
It's the sad reality, but there's something honest and special when a BMW M product lives up to its name and heritage, even if few can appreciate it.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
kyrix1st2361.50