04-18-2024, 09:42 AM   #128
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Yes, twin turbo direct injection V8s with the turbos and cats in the Vee and water to air intercoolers and multiple heat exchangers are complex. It is sort of scary to me at times when I start taking my F90 apart. But the performance is astounding.
Plus variable cam phasing, and variable lift on the intake valves, complex multiple flow rate oil pump, electronic thermostat, etc. Of course most BMW engines have all that.

It really is amazing it works at all and seems fairly reliable

The variable lift is interesting since it means no throttle plate. But now you have 8 actuators to control the value lift. But this is how you get a flat 550lb-ft across most of the range, and 600+ hp. This is the smallest V8 I've owned, but also the highest output and best fuel economy (not that we care about that with this type of car). But it still is impressive. Some people lament the loss of the 60's muscle cars, I don't. Engines now produce more power, run smoother, actually start when it's really cold out, and idle better. Too bad we are about to throw all this progress away.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50