05-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #19
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfiducia View Post
if you can afford a BMW, spend the money to mod it correctly. cutting springs is not it.

Cutting spring is usually considered because it is supposedly cheap, but only in up-front costs, 3000 miles later you are replacing suspension components. Cutting a spring causes an unknown increase in spring rate. This may cause unknown (usually poor) results in handling and safety of the vehicle. It also increase the stress level put on the spring as well as adversely effecting other related chassis components. Will tend to blow out your shocks much quicker as, so in the long run, not cheap anyway.
Well it has nothing to do with money. I asked to cut only one coil off of the rear H&R springs. I asked this because I have heard many times that with progressively wound springs they sometime perform better with one coil cut off. When I recieved my springs and looked at them, they do not seem to be progressively wound. So i am not going to do it. I am going to wait until more aftermarket support becomes avail. Fow now I will just deal with the H&R.
Anyways I just wanted to see your guys thought on it. I am aware of all ofthe affects of changing spring rates and what not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda1 View Post
didn't you learn your lesson from back in the day with Honda's and Acura's?

Cutting springs is a BIG BOUNCY MISTAKE!!!

I remember when people would cut, vs melt, and even clamp the springs.

My buddy clamped his springs and the clamps broke off a few days later... the car jumped up like it had hydraulics.

Another buddy decided to just take out the springs... thing rode stiff like a skateboard.

Oh welll that was 15 years ago and we all learned are lessons since then.
Damn, clamped springs is a really bad idea. Thank goodness I never have had to go through all of that. Though my friends did, the cars drove like crap.