View Single Post
      03-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #50
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

But imo when Mercedes fixes porpoising alot more than 1 second of lap time will come from it.

Why?

1) Because Mercedes will have a real fix implemented not a bandage but an actual solution to stop the air flow from stalling. What do I mean by this? Well currently redbull and Ferrari still porpoise but they're able to dial it out with setup changes and the cuts in the floor. These cuts in the floor allow air flow to move from the underfloor stopping the floor from stalling. This is a band aid for porpoising but it robs the floor of some downforce. If Mercedes can actually solve the porposing without having to put slots, cuts, or curls into the floor edge they'll be able to generate vastly more downforce than the teams that have to do band aid fixes.

2) solving porpoising will mean Merc can run a softer suspension allowing for more mechanical grip improving cornering at high and low speeds - and the w13 already is the fastest low speed car so it'll only get better.

3) they'll be able to run the car lower further increasing down force.

4) they'll be able to run smaller wings and rely on the efficient floor for down force rather than the inefficient wings. Where efficiency means producing downforce with little drag.

The overall product should be alot more lap time and alot more top speed. I would suspect it would yield over 1 second gain in lap time if they can figure it out. Because even with all these major issues they're still the 3rd fastest showing you the potential of the w13.
NYG10744.00