02-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #76
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I do - and as I said - even if you could get a 991.1 GT3’s for 120-130K (unless GT3’s are that easy to get in your area) - they are not an all rounder. RWD - track specific car. Not RS specific - but the GT cars are track focused. 2+2. Plus - that second car is going to put you out another 50-80K - minimum. Now a Turbo or Turbo S - are the true all rounders in the Porsche line up with performance - though still 2+2, they are AWD. The Mustang piece we already covered. They dont directly compete - and the Mustang is not beating an M5 Competition on almost any track. That said - and as I have stated before - no car in the M5’s class is a track car. And you agree. They can do track - and pretty impressively well when you think a 997.1 Turbo couldn’t run the Nurburgring in much under 8!minutes (nor could the 997 GT3).

Neither of the cars you name are luxury cars either. Nor do they have the luxury amenities of - for example - massaging seats (which I use every day). Long distance cruisers in any weather. The Aston is a weekend car. Although it out-GT’s your two GT examples by a mile. Especially on the luxury side. But the Aston comes up short performance wise and isn’t AWD. So it loses out - all round - to the F90 M5. The best all rounder in its class. Which is why people buy it. One car - all tasks.
Oh I don't disagree with any point you're making. The only thing that bothered me was people arguing lap times for the sake of "praising" the car when it's not even made for that.

I was merely explaining what the difference is between form and performance. Form being looks and attention getting to performance being well... performance. And that for 120-130k (check cars.com, 2014-2015 GT3's) you can get a used GT3 with 3-4k miles on them and have best of both worlds.. IF we're strictly talking performance and form. Essentially I'm trying to discern what the M5 is actually suited for, rather than reaching and calling it a "track weapon" like some of the posters are insinuating by quoting lap times. VIR and Ring lap times quite literally mean nothing for the M5. It's literally a dick measuring contest over something 99% of M5 owners won't do. Yes, it's fast around "some" high speed tracks that mostly ignore it's 4200lb frame, but this whole thread was about comparing an Aston Martin to an M5. Obviously they don't compete against each other, but there is no denying that side by side, 95% of people would go for the looker Aston Martin if it was handed on a silver platter. Then performance was brought up, and I simply stated that if performance is a marker, then maybe your best bet is buying a GT3 rather than an M5.

As far as the M5 being faster than a 997 GT3, well it's the ring.. and the ring LOVES power. Take a track like Tsukuba or something technical that doesn't have 2 mile long straights, and it's weight quickly becomes something that you notice.

For 120k on an M5 you get a high 120's trap comfy daily driver that can be "somewhat" fun on side roads. A great all rounder. But it doesn't hold even a baby sized candle to some of the other cars I've mentioned in regards to feel, noise, etc. As far as pure driving pleasure, the F90 M5 is not that.

I'm tempted by a 2017 Turbo S as we speak and I think you owned one at some point so I'm in process of locking down one in a PTS color as we speak funnily enough.

Last edited by GhostyM; 02-07-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0