02-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #72
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I love the first comment on how the M5 is boring and loses to a Mustang on track (LOL, forgot to see that the Mustang has Sport Cup 2's), but never mind that. The intriguing part is, have you driven an M5 to say it is just inert and boring and way too fast??

I get that if you drive it 2/10 it is boring, as it does not feel any bit more special than a 530i, making you question why you paid twice as much. But drive it 10/10 and boy oh boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
As he has not commented since - and it seems I was right when I gently stated it doesn’t seem that he has in fact driven the car he is commenting on - I don’t think we will ever have an answer. Unfortunately.
I drove the red frozen edition M5 (when it released a while ago) and it's a rocket for a sedan, but what some on this thread fail to realize, is that someone said "If I want form, I'll go for Aston, if I want performance, I'll go M5"

An M5 is comfy and fast but it's not a looker like an Aston, it's not special like a 997.2 RS around a track, it's just a daily driver. There is no other point to the car. Like literally zero. And there is nothing wrong with that, just like how a Z06 is a weekend and track car, it can be daily driven but it's not really GOOD for it like a M5 may be.

Then I said "Why not both and get a GT3 because you get BOTH" in regards to performance and looks for 120-130k.

Reading comprehension is amiss with some people.

If we are talking exclusively luxury and speed, there probably isn't a better buy outside of it's E63 competition etc.. but as far as track focused... this is NOT the car for tracks. 99% of F90 M5 owners will NOT see the track and if they do... it's nowhere near as much fun as cars that cost twice as much OR half as much. Think 458/GT3/Miata/S2000/E92 M3 etc.. aka not 4200lb+ luxobarges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
This is a weird conversation.

Who in the world is cross shopping an Aston with an M5.

The Aston is a beautiful, attention getting car. That's why people buy them. It's fast enough, but agree it should be faster.

The M5 is a completely different animal. A good looking, under the radar Q-ship with massive reserves of power. A family sedan that destroys stop lights and the highway but can also be thrown around corners.

You don't buy an M5 to show off and you don't really buy one for the track, though it can hold it's own.

Comparing the M5 to a 991.1 GT3 makes even less sense.

The reason I brought up a 991.1 GT3 was because I was making a point about wanting both performance AND looks in one package if THAT is what you're looking for if you're going to spend 120k on a car rather than an M5.
If we're talking luxury in any of these conversations, these cars are out (because they are NOT comfy).

Last edited by GhostyM; 02-07-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0