02-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #68
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I can help here as I believe some of your comments are very much incorrect.

My responses are in-line to yours in RED.

I honestly have no idea who the M5 is for other than people with too much money who also want some practicality and can't own two cars.
You are going to have to explain that to me as the M5 is literally one of the best all round - GT - cars you can buy today. Key word today. Please below for more information on that point.

Don't get me wrong the m5 is impressive but what exactly is it for?

It doesn't have the driving feel or the price accessibility to be a good track car. Let's start here - no car in its class is a good car. The days of this class of car ever possibly being a good track car is over - for all manufacturers. So this point is moot. It can do tracking - but it is not a track car (nor really was the E39 - but it was much closer than anything today - more on that below.

It doesn't have the civility or fuel economy for straight commuting.
Whoah. The standard M5 is extremely civil. As is the CP in my opinion. Is it super soft luxury? No. But it is GT car - so it isn't supposed to be. This point is very much off of reality.

It doesn't grab attention (at least, the kind of attention you want).
I agree here. The M5 looks almost identical to the M550ix. Nor has really any BMW - more on that below. That said - I don't want attention. So this works for me.
And it's pretty expensive. The Aston on the other hand is a completely different animal. It looks absolutely insane. It's driving position is low, it's loud, its sporty. It's a pure weekend car--it knows what it is.
The Aston is the better looking and sounding car. No question. It is a pure weekend car - and much more expensive than the F90. The M5 is an all rounder - GT luxury car - more useful than the Aston and much more capable in the sporty department. And cheaper.
I owned an E39 M5 and that car made sense to me. It was light enough, had a manual transmission, an insane motor, and was the right size.
I will stop you right there. You cannot compare the E39 to anything today - in that class. Nothing. It also had engine, chassis, crappy traction control and massively bad fuel economy issues (I only bring that point up because you did). Also - no one unless a BMW person would know what it is...as most BMW's never have been flashy.

The F90 is massive, has way too much power, is completely sterile to drive, and comes in automatic and AWD.
I am going to hope you have at least driven it to make that comment. Hoping that is so - I cannot understand where you get that from. I have driven both cars - and as much as the E39 is a fixture in car history - the F90 is an amazing car to drive. The steering - not so much - but that is for any electric steering out - today (this isn't 1998) - the overall experience is quite pleasing and effective - meaning there is not way too much power (or it would not be effective). The car can be put into RWD - fully RWD - at the touch of a button (this is where I suspect you have not driven the F90). And no car in this class is a manual anymore - from any manufacturer. Either way "liking" is subjective - so fairly moot.

I don't get it--at least I don't get it when you are comparing to a Vantage. There's no contest for me.

Like for those of you (on the M5 board no less) saying you would "take the M5 hands down" I just can't wrap my head around that.

I hope the above information helps helps answer all of your questions.

Agree with all...

These cars have just two things in common. High fun factor and higher depreciation
Other than that they are different purpose cars and will likely never be cross-shopped.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50