northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Thank you!

What bugs me are the stats that are put out sending people to a panic.

If you test a 100 people and five people have C-19 that's .05%

If you test 1000 people and five have c-19 that's .005

Anyway...

My first sighting of an F90 Comp Pack that thing looked outstanding...

Dude waved; thought that was cool

Was on NJ Parkway heading north I was in 2016 F80 Black

I'm going to test drive one to see if becomes a new dream car...

When I read responses like this I have to comment. First, regarding the car since this is a car forum - go test drive one, you’ll love it, express serious interest, make a personal connection with the salesperson and then walk away and wash your hands (literally). Wait a few weeks and you’ll see what I’m talking about - by three weeks and you’ll likely be the only one looking at purchasing at that dealership on that day and they will be anxious and open to giving you a great deal or your priorities may have changed by then. Too many people think it will be business as usual in a month or so - it won’t be. I hope I am wrong but I don’t think so.

Your math above, as others have pointed out is off by a factor of 2. I think you meant 0.05 not 0.05%. Since 0.05 = 5%. The logarithmic nature of the transmission progression and the reality of asymptomatic / mild vectors are lost on many people. I am STEM trained, with both a BSc MD and an FRCPC without breaking my anonymity - I am in Canada and took steps back in mid Feb, voluntarily closed my clinic since Mar 5 to reduce risk of transmission even though we were hundreds of miles from any reported cases then. This virus moves predictably and people were not taking “social distancing” seriously. New York is now demonstrating this and it will get bad.

Please don’t loose hope though, we will get through this but it will be messy for the next few months. There will be no effective vaccine in significant quantities until late 2020 or later realistically and that is best case scenario - and simple RNA viruses like this mutate very easily.

I use this example to drive the seriousness home to others like this - the US mortality peak will likely be mid to late April, by then MORE people will be dying per day (15000+) from covid than the whole sum 2019 gun homicide total (approx 15000). Yes, more dying from covid every single day than gun homicides all year. More covid deaths in just several months than the US had in total fatalities from World War 2 ( approx half a million). And that is the best case scenario! As areas get hit hard and this rolls through North America we will have significant casualties from non covid cases just like in China and Italy. Example - you have a heart attack and your local hospital resources are swamped - you may not be able to get a cardiac cath or bypass.

I hope this shocks the #%! out those whom are still denying the scope of this threat. Ventilators, PPE, army hospitals, etc will help for sure but what must NOT get lost in the noise is that’s nothing is more necessary right now than reducing the rate of transmission to prevent our acute care resources from being over-run. No amount of resources can handle a tsunami of cases than is building because of idiots out socializing on spring break and etc although thankfully this is seemingly stopping now. Do your part and call these people out. It is time for the meek and polite to grow some balls. People not following CDC and isolation / distancing / hand washing / etc are literally firing a machine gun into the gut of humanity.

Stay safe everyone and do your part by physical distancing and following CDC guidelines even more stringently if possible given real possibility and developing evidence that asymptomatic vectors (people not showing symptoms) maybe responsible for up to 50% of case transmission. Therefore we must look at everyone as if they may be infected for the time being - even people that look healthy - even ourselves. Then we will get through this. Please forgive the extended rant but I felt compelled to spread the word out of love for my fellows - kinda like Paul Revere - only with a touque.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00