View Single Post
      09-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing since the noises started after the break in service, the bolts were loose, and they were scratching their heads trying to gain access to the front diff when they changed the fluid, I suspect that was the culprit. Easy fix though, car is back to normal.
It's good to know about this. I'm sure this happened or will happen to others as well...

Service competence is a huge issue. It's very common for dealerships not to do things right during service in my experience. Sometimes the damage is reversible, and sometimes not.

With the M5, even routine service is more complex than with most of the other cars. The diff oil change process is one, but changing the air filters is also more complex because the struts in the engine bay need to be removed and re-installed, and it can be somewhat tricky according to the technical manual because at some point you have to do something about the degradation of the threads.

I'm pretty much at a loss on how to have the services done right and without damage on my M5. If I just go to one of the dealerships around here and let some random technician work on it, there's little hope.

I wonder how others handle this... Develop a relationship with a service advisor and pester him to assign the car to a good experienced technician? The whole process around here is a crapshoot - you get a random service advisor and a random technician who may have zero clue about how to get the work done correctly. It's a huge issue that bit me many times in that past with my previous cars.

I was even thinking about going to an indy instead where you have control over who works on your car, and you can get a good mechanic. The problem is that they don't know much about these new models, don't have any experience with them, and probably don't even have the service manual.
Appreciate 0