View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #45
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste0803 View Post
The M5 has a much more reserved use of the pops and bangs.

I had the M4 on a custom tune so it would pop at will at any given time but I think the M5 has sensors which detect heat in the exhaust / engine and hold back the pops until a safe temperature has been reached.

I can get the car to pop on on downshift for a say 5 - 6 sets of pops and it will then stop. This tells me that BMW have implemented a safeguard to stop engine exhaust temps getting too high and causing damage.

It is slightly louder when at full throttle, I think it sounds really nice. But in my opinion its still too quiet with the OPF and Cats in.

The next step for me may be a tune and remove the OPF's by replacing it with Remus midpipe.

Its a different route than I took with the M4, with that I left the exhaust totally standard and did a DeCat which sounded great but my friends Remus (catback) always sounded way better.

I'll try get some rolling video soon as I have a day free this week and going to wash the car and go get some shots of the new mods.
Thanks for the reply Ste,
I actually think you are right about the mapping safeguard etc, because, as i say, when freerevving when not under load, the pops and bangs are just spot on. If i could reproduce this sound at will when underload, i think the exhaust aftermarket for the M5, would be redundant. Ive also noticed when freerevving, it will only pop and bang for a short span of time, say 6 or 7 bootfulls, then wont do it anymore, thus adding to the theory of a safeguard ?, all interesting and clever stuff.
But the bottom line atm is, is the sound is being robbed by the damned OPFs.
Appreciate 0