02-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I don't bother with winters on the BM as, to be honest, I can avoid having to go out in the worst of it and for 90% of the "winter" their benefit is not so great for me that you can't get by without...

To be honest, I wouldn't get the benefit from performance options, either, in better weather...

I'd be best off with an all season tyre but not sure what options I might have...

I agree, most people, especially those with a second car could manage for the odd day we get snow. Obviously also dependent on where you live.

I looked at Michelin Cross Climates a couple of years ago but at the time they only went up 17" so that was out. Eventually went for a set of winter wheels. I'm quite risk averse so didn't want to get stuck anywhere miles from home if the weather turned bad. Also I had a bad experience coming down a long hill once, on my Summers where I slid for what seemed like forever on a midges of snow on the road, no more than 5mm. Shit me up and I was lucky I didn't hit anything.

Only last week I rang a contractor I do work with and although I know his name, I don't know him personally. It was about 8:00am and I'm talking to him on handsfree and he sounds flustered, I ask him if he's ok and then could hear the beeping of his parking sensors. I told him that that sounds seems familiar and was he driving a Beamer, he said yes. He went onto to tell me he would need to ring me back because he was stuck in the snow.

I said, if affordable, that Winters are the way to go. Get some on and you won't be disappointed.

Winters are obviously better for cold and Summers better for warm weather but if you do get any all seasons with the larger sizes then let us know
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00