View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Clarkey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Touring

Modding my M5 @ 25k miles mark

Hi all. Well I never thought I could own an M5 but here I am.
I bought a 2018 non GPF model in April and am loving it. I went for higher miles as it was the long term test car for Auto Express and when I found out I tweeted the staff before buying it and found out how well the car had been taken care of in its first 16k miles. It’s black, Aragon brown interior, M Sport exhaust, carbon ceramics, premium and comfort packs, and bowers and Wilkins, which swung it for me.

But I have been bitten by the bug to make it a little more personal.
So happy to share my experiences en route. And to hear yours too. I hate finding out about things the hard way.....

So, to begin with I fitted the BMS induction kit and it sounds ace. Fit is ok, need some attention to stop it moving and twisting, and a couple of sticky foam pads were required. But all sorted. The exhaust noise and induction noise/turbo spool are worth it alone. God knows if there is a performance gain, but who needs more than 600 bhp??
Then.... Black front and side grills fitted. Thinking about the rear spoiler and diffuser options so would be nice to know what you all think. I don’t see the Point in carbon on such a huge car, so would be happy with plastic and just paint it.
I ordered the full Maxton body kit and the quality was crap. Every part had an exposed under edge instead of being rounded and finished. So that went back.

Right now I have just done a stage 2 paint correction and ceramic coat (the guy is making a video of this so I will post it). Also just fitted 12mm spacers all around. Not driven far yet, but seems ok. Could go narrower on the back and wider on the front (15mm and 5/7mm on back) but I’ll run it a bit and see.

Next up, MSS springs (-25 to 30mm ish) and Remus Back Box with chrome slash cut pipes. It does need to be a touch lower but not firmer, hence MSS. And the exhaust need to be louder when in Sport/plus but stay quiet otherwise. It is my family wagon after all.

Problems: squeaky drivers seat. It’s a known issue (apparently) with a fix, but it’s a big job. Mine is going back again to fix it. Apparently it’s metal on leather, but I’m not so sure as it went away and now it’s back again within 3k miles. Oh and knackered front and rear BMW badges. Replaced (begrudgingly) under warranty....

Anyway, happy M5ing and looking forward to being involved more in the forum.

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-13-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Burnsey315.50